SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
PROPULSION SYSTEMS ENGINEER (STARSHIP)
The Propulsion Systems Engineer is responsible for developing the fluid systems for Starship and Super Heavy – our high performance, next generation vehicles that will get us to Mars. This role will flex heavily across design, analysis, and manufacturing – including participating in and driving the physical builds and installation of the propulsion systems. These systems encompasses a wide range of pressurized components, tooling design, and processes (welding, tube bending, pipe fitting, large part movement, and large structure integration) to rapidly build early versions of the Starship and Super Heavy vehicles.
– Work with the design engineering team to drive simplicity into the vehicle fluids systems at every level
– Create original CAD models and prints for flight and/or tooling components
– Execute design for manufacturability changes to enhance production efficiency
– Coordinate and execute development, qualification, and acceptance testing of systems and tooling needed to meet hardware deadlines
– Lead the on-site design engineering contact for the efficient build of parts and assemblies
– Develop manufacturing processes, techniques, and tools to enable efficient and high rate manufacturing
– Guide a team of technicians, welders, and fabricators in building high quality and functional fluid systems hardware
– Create and maintain build schedules
– Source, retain and advise new and experienced vendors from a technical perspective
– Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline
– Experience with CAD and FEA software packages
– Hands on hardware experience performing fabrication, assembly and/or testing (internship and academic experience is applicable)
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
– Master’s degree in an engineering discipline
– Experience with fluid dynamics and pressurized components (valves, regulators, tubes, pipes, etc.)
– Experience leading operation-critical part mechanical design, including basic structures, fluids calculations, and design considerations
– Process development, facility and line layouts, error-proofing
– Experience with Unigraphics NX and Teamcenter CAD and PLM systems
– Prior experience with developing, maintaining and improving welding processes
– Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
– Flight hardware typically is built in tight quarters and physical dexterity is required
– Ability to perform job duties that require standing, kneeling, crouching, twisting upper body, working in cramped positions in small openings and climbing hand over hand
– Typically exposed to work in extreme outdoor environments – heat, cold, rain
– Work performed in an environment requiring exposure to fumes, odors, and noise
– Schedule varies depending on site operational needs; flexibility required
– Flexibility to travel to remote build sites
– To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at .