Engineering Manager – Job Summary
GEOTEK/PUPI is the market leader for high performance fiberglass structures for overhead transmission and distribution structures in the Electric Utility industry. PUPI products, including the fiberglass composite materials, are designed, and tested in-house by GEOTEK engineers, and are manufactured in our factory in Stewartville, MN (Suburb of Rochester, and 1.5 hours south of the Minneapolis/St. Paul). We are looking for a highly qualified engineering leader who is driven, strategic, and organized to lead our Application Engineering team. The Engineering Manager is a highly visible position within GEOTEK and will offer the right candidate the opportunity to design high-performance utility structures with state-of-the-art materials and tools, while leading a strong team of engineers and helping to grow a company!
The Engineering Manager provides overall leadership to the Application Engineering team, serves as the main customer point of contact at GEOTEK for key or critical engineering initiatives, and ensures that product offerings are designed and qualified using sound judgement and industry best practices and tools. In partnership with the commercial team, the Engineering Manager is also responsible for executing New Product Development (NPD) projects/initiatives, including new product R&D and innovation. The Engineering Manager is a dual role, providing not only management and leadership to the Application Engineering team, but also delivering engineering expertise from inception through delivery (including after delivery support) to end users. The Engineering Manager is a customer facing position requiring excellent communication skills and a customer centric mindset. Additionally, relationship building both internally and externally, as well as cross-functional collaboration will be key to being successful in this role. The successful candidate will be a problem solver, an innovator, and a leader, and will have a demonstrated record of action, drive, and passion for leading teams and delivering projects per plan. While prior engineering experience in the electrical utility industry is not required, the successful candidate will be willing and able to learn the specifics and details of PUPI composite products and overhead line design, and then apply those aspects to develop themselves into an industry expert. Previous experience with composite materials is highly desirable. This is an excellent opportunity to be a leader, drive innovation, and make an impact in a winning company and engineering team!
· Establish department vision, strategy, goals & objectives, and metrics for the Application Engineering team that align with GEOTEK’s business objectives. Provide overall leadership to the Application Engineering team to meet those goals and objectives.
· Ensure that the Application Engineering team supports GEOTEK/PUPI’s strategic pillars of Engineering, Technology, and Service. Ensure that the Application Engineering team maintains its reputation for “best in industry” engineering support.
· Provide technical leadership and guidance to the application engineering team in the design, development, analysis, testing, and documentation of PUPI fiberglass composite utility structures. Assume engineering duties directly, as needed, especially for strategic and/or key customers.
· Utilizing industry best practices and building upon past successes, continuously improve the Application Engineering team which includes people, processes, product, and technologies.
· Serve as the primary customer contact for strategic and/or critical technical matters, including new business development, product application and performance, and questions from the field. Partner with the sales and marketing team to develop strategic messaging, and exceed customer expectations, while balancing competing goals appropriately.
· Support and manage new product development (NPD) initiatives. Partner with the PUPI Business Manager (and others) to explore and vette NPD ideas using the GEOTEK Stagegate process.
· Develop and mentor subordinates to their fullest potential, and coach engineers to be ‘customer facing’.
· Develop and manage annual financial budgets, capital investments, and personnel/resource planning to ensure the Application Engineering department can support current and future corporate objectives.
· Support the Quality Department and QMS (ISO 9001:2015) by providing technical expertise, problem solving, critical to quality definition, and other aspects as requested.
· Conduct R&D to support new product development and optimization of existing designs of new composite system designs, processes, parameters, tooling, and equipment, utilizing analysis, process trials, and laboratory testing as required.
· Occasional travel (
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and Abilities
· Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (BSE) in Mechanical, Composite, Civil, or similar engineering discipline. Advanced degrees and/or professional engineering licensure (PE) preferred.
· Minimum 7 years engineering technical experience with increasing scope and responsibilities, including product design, testing/analysis, engineering documentation, and new product development (NPD).
· Minimum 1 year of supervisory/management experience, or similar leadership experience.
· Project Management experience with a track record of on-time, on-budget, and on-spec performance.
· Experience working directly with customers in customer facing role(s), including direct support, presentation material preparation and delivery, and supporting other customer matters.
· Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across departments to develop strategies and plans that meet objectives.
· Proficiency with SolidWorks 3D CAD, SolidWorks EPDM, and SolidWorks Simulation (FEA).
· Experience with advanced FEA (such as ANSYS) highly desired.
· Experience working in a manufacturing environment, including supporting an ISO 9001:2015 certified QMS.
· Experience with industry standard specification development, either as a participant or leader is desired.
GEOTEK offers a competitive pay and benefits program, including 401(k) match and profit sharing.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $79,220.59 – $174,714.56 per year
Supplemental pay types:
Use common sense.
Ability to commute/relocate:
Willingness to travel:
Work Location: One location